As I have mentioned on the blog before, I avoid eating wheat at breakfast and lunch. I have found that I have much more energy and no longer get the 2pm slump. This has changed my life for the better in so many ways, but it has also posed some challenges. I love baked goods—muffins, scones, and bagels for breakfast and sandwiches on really good bread for lunch are my faves. One of my go-to breakfasts since this transition (along with baked goods made with spelt flour like this one and this one) has been granola. I make a batch pretty much every week. I love that it is quick and that I can mix in lots of fruit, have it with some protein-rich yogurt, and be good to go for the whole morning. The only problem is that sometimes I don’t have time to bake that next batch and then I am left struggling to find a quick breakfast.
Well, no more! I have recently discovered skillet granola and my life is forever changed! Yes, I will still bake big batches. But for those times when I need some quickly, this skillet granola that takes only 7 minutes to make (including chopping up nuts!) is a delicious alternative! And when you eat it right away it has the added perk of being warm, but not hot like oatmeal. I’m in love and I think as soon as you try it, you will be too.
- (2-4 servings, depending on how much you like to have for breakfast)
- 1 cup oats
- ½ cup chopped nuts (walnuts, almonds, pecans are all great)
- ½ cup dried fruit (cranberries, raisins, chopped dried mango or apples, etc.)
- 3 tbl butter
- 3 tbl honey or maple syrup
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp cardamom
- Melt butter in skillet on a medium-high heat. Add oats, salt, cinnamon, and cardamom. Stir to quickly combine. Add nuts and honey/maple syrup. Stir for 2 minutes, until starting to toast. Add cranberries and stir for one more minute. Serve.