Spring is a time of rebirth, rejuvenation, and fresh starts! It is a time of shaking off the old and starting with the new. For me, it has always been a more logical time than new years to start new habits—I have more energy and more enthusiasm as the days get brighter and longer. This is the time of year when I tend to empty out my closets, purge toys, and start getting inspired to make new dishes (I love spring produce!).
If you are itching to get some new, healthier habits started this spring, then what better way than starting to cook more? Home cooking has been shown to be better for your health, your waistline, and your wallet! So to help you get started I’ve come up with 6 ways to kick-start your cooking this spring:
- Try one new recipe a week. Feeling like you are sick of your go-to recipes but overwhelmed by the idea of starting from scratch? Then try picking one recipe a week to take on. If you feel like you need a total reboot, try out new a breakfast dish one week, lunch another, and dinner the next. Bonus tip: Try to stick to simple recipes so that you can experience some success without too much stress.
- Reorganize your kitchen. Making your kitchen work better for you can make it more appealing to spend time cooking. Try to think through what would make your kitchen work more smoothly and then spend one weekend afternoon making it happen! Great first steps include cleaning out the foods you won’t ever use and donating them to a food pantry, reorganizing so like-things are together, and getting your storage containers under control.
- Pull out that appliance you haven’t used much. Got a slow cooker, pressure cooker, rice cooker, blender, or food processor that you don’t ever use? Pull it out and give it a whirl! Search for simple recipes that use that appliance. Who knows, you may find that you have a new favorite appliance or a new favorite recipe or both!
- Sharpen your knives. Sharp knives are essential to efficient and safe cooking. If you don’t have a sharpener, call your local hardware or craft store and find out if they have a knife sharpening event coming up. Once you get those nice sharp knives home you won’t believe the difference!
- Experiment with one-pot meals. One pot meals are awesome because they are usually simple, quick, and there are fewer dishes to do at the end! The possibilities are endless: pastas, soups, stews, casseroles, so much to try!
- Sign up for the 10-Day Cooking Challenge! The 10-Day Cooking Challenge is a great way to kick-start your spring! With less than an hour per day of time commitment, I’ll introduce you to efficient cooking techniques, new ways to use ingredients you are already comfortable with, and kitchen organization approaches that will help you to fall in love with your space! We start April 13 and early bird pricing ends THIS SUNDAY (March 27). Learn more.