We’re not big Valentine’s Day people in our household. One of the first times my husband and I ever really hung out was at an anti-Valentine’s gathering. But I’m a sucker for special meals on special days… so since I am on a big beet kick right now I couldn’t let the holiday go by without a red-themed recipe and this one is a keeper!
These muffins are super simple to make (especially if you cheat and buy the already cooked beets like I did)! It is pretty much a dump, mix, and spoon out muffin mix. They are sweet enough to be a tasty breakfast or a healthy snack for the big day.
So whip these up this weekend for a nice little surprise for your family, your co-workers, or anyone else who could use a little extra love!
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup honey
- 4 small to medium cooked beets
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups spelt or whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 and spray your muffin tin or line it with muffin liners.
- Cream the butter and honey in a food processor. Add the beets and eggs and puree until the beets are smooth.
- Add the flour, rosemary, baking soda, and salt and mix until just combined.
- Add walnuts, if using, and mix until well combined.
- Spoon out batter into muffin tin and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool on rack.