I received free samples of Sabra Spreads mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Sabra and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
It is funny the things we can get excited about sometimes. For me, an unexpected moment of excitement has been around this Sabra Spread contest that I was invited to join through The Recipe Redux. To be honest, I was totally psyched to have reached the stage in my food blogging journey where I get to receive samples and create a recipe around a new product that I feel good about sharing with you. It was super cool to receive the FedEx box with an insulated bag inside filled with samples. And it was equally cool to be able to take my first taste of all three of the different spreads, Garlic Herb, Sea Salt & Cracked Pepper, and Honey Mustard, and know right away that I was excited to start playing around with them in the kitchen. When these small pleasures happen I think it is important to savor them and take the time to relish in them, after all shouldn’t life be about the simple and unexpected pleasures?!
So in the spirit of sharing simple pleasures, I wanted to share with you one of our family’s go-to sandwiches these days. Despite my best efforts, my boys have been giving me a run for my money on lunches recently. My 8-year-old in particular has been less than enthusiastic about a lot of the options that I normally offer, so coming up with this simple lunch option to throw into the rotation has been a life saver! I wanted something that he would be excited about, that I could feel good about, that wouldn’t take too long to prepare, and that wouldn’t break the bank. This Simple Roasted Chicken and Vegetable Medley Sandwich has hit all the marks!
One aspect to making these sandwiches truly great is the chicken. Each week I buy one or two boneless, skinless chicken breasts, which I roast for the week. It is one of the simplest things you can do to prepare yourself for a week of healthy meal options. We use them as a tastier, healthier, and cheaper version of deli meat. The first few times I made this sandwich for the boys I used mayo, but the addition of the Sabra spreads has taken the sandwiches to a whole new level both in flavor and healthiness (the spreads have 75% less fat than mayo). True story: the first time I made the boys these sandwiches with the spreads for their school lunch the report back was, “those were the best sandwiches ever!”
Are you convinced yet? Who knows, maybe these sandwiches will provide you with an unexpected moment of excitement, they sure did for me!
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 4 Tablespoons Sabra Spreads (our favorites for this sandwich are the Sea Salt & Cracked Pepper and the Garlic Herb)
- Vegetables of your choice (we like lettuce, tomato, cucumber, bell peppers, and avocado)
- Whole Wheat Bread of your choice (we like French bread for the sandwiches and whole wheat tortillas for wraps)
- Salt & Pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Herbs of your choice (we like chili powder, thyme, or oregano)
- To cook the chicken: Preheat oven to 425. Place chicken breast(s) on a baking sheet and drizzle with a little bit of olive oil. Sprinkle generously with salt, pepper, and herbs of your choice. Bake for 20 minutes or until the meat is white all the way through and/or a meat thermometer reads 165.
- To assemble the sandwiches: Thinly slice the chicken. Spread 1 tablespoon of the Sabra Spread on your bread or wrap of choice. Lay the chicken slices on top and then add vegetables of your choice. Enjoy.